Signal app for Android
Signal app for Android is the main mobile version of this popular private messenger. It is developed to work on the Android-based smartphones mostly, it is not optimized for tablets, though it is possible to install this messenger there and work with it. But it can be unstable, and the developers warn about the absence of the proper tablet version.
The Signal phone app for Android is absolutely free of charge. The product provides the basic functionality which is present in many other messaging apps, however, it stands apart due to its main accent on the safety of communication.
The end-to-end encryption is applied to protect the data (text messages, files, voice during calls and video streaming). The safety protocol used for this encryption is one of the strongest in the world. Besides, the Signal messenger does not gather any users' data and does not save them on the servers. The open-source license allowed many experts checking the code of the product and evaluating its safety.
When you install this application on the Android phone for the first time, you will need to create a new account. The user ID is registered to the phone number, and this is the primary account. It is possible also to use it for the additional copy of the messenger on PC or laptop with Windows or Mac. It will ask for permission to access the contacts in order to define if there are other Signal users among them. You can also invite your contacts to try this messenger. The interface of the application is neat and intuitive, thus, it will be easy to master the functionality of the messenger.
Functional features of the Signal messenger for Android phones
Like most of the modern instant messengers, this product offers the basic set of options: text chats, audio calls and video calls. All these features are absolutely free of charge, and this private messenger does not show any ads to users.
Here more details on the functionality of the Signal Android messenger are:
- Text chats. As the text app Signal for Android supports both personal and group chats, and the group data are secret: even the owners of this product do not have access to such details as the list of participants, group names and even the profile pictures.
- Text chats include smileys, and users can exchange files (images, videos, documents). The data are saved only on the target devices, and you can view attachments in the separate section. The search option is provided for both texts and media, it is easy to find the necessary data in chats on the Android phone.
- Voice messages can be recorded and sent via the chat.
- The conversation can include 500 messages by default, and this number can be changed. Older messages can be deleted automatically when the limit is reached, and it is also possible to trim all existing conversation to apply the limit.
- There is the self-destruction timer for texting (some other instant messengers also offer similar option for the so-called secret chats, and Signal private messenger for Android offers this service for any chat).
- Screenshots are not allowed in the messenger by default, though this can be changed in the software settings.
- Conversation settings can be configured for each chat separately – you can set the notifications and alerts produced on the Android smartphone and set the color theme for the chat.
- The secure session can be reset with all data already present in the chat safe and sound.
- Shortcuts to the definite chats can be placed on the Home screen of the Android phone for quick accessing the necessary conversations.
- The Backup option allows saving all chats data in the external storage. Backups are protected by the Signal and passwords, the users will need to enter the password to restore the backup.
- SMS integration will let use the Signal messenger as the main SMS client on the Android smartphone. In this case it will import the list of your previous SMS and present them as separate chats with the possibility to reply to them or to create a new message. There is the option to use the address book of your Android mobile device or to dial the number directly from within the messenger.
- Note that Signal does not support the VoIP service, and it won't be possible to make regular phone calls to the non-Signal users.
- Calls (audio and video) are supported between the Signal clients. The data streams are encrypted and it is impossible to listen to the conversation in between.
The Signal private messenger for Android can be considered the most protected software and the best means for secure messaging. The download is available for free, the developers update their application regularly and improve its safety level. Right now Signal is the best solution for people concerned about their privacy when they use the Android mobile phones for personal and work communication.
|Signal app for Android||Varies with device||.apk||Download|