Skype video call not working: Easy Fix
Skype is one of the world-known utilities that can boast of offering the best service for communication to all its users. The application is known to have an extremely easy interface with everything available right at your fingertips. However, in some cases an issue of Skype video not working occurs. Below you will find a list of universal and device-based solutions for this common problem.
No video on Skype: tips for the users of all devices
No matter what kind of device or operating system (either Android, iPhone, Linux, Mac or Windows) you are currently using, this list is universal for fixing the issue of voice-only calls on the messenger.
- Check Skype status page for any problems on the developer’s side. You can find full information about the messenger’s status at https://support.skype.com/en/status/
- Use only the latest version of the tool. If you suddenly face any problems while using the application, check for available updates. Go to Settings – Help & Feedback to know more about your messenger's version.
- Update your operating system. If you use a too early version of any OS, you might have some difficulties while using different programs. The messenger is not an exception to this rule.
- Make sure your device is meeting minimum requirements of the app. All the requirements to different systems are available at the official website of the tool:
- Check your Internet connection. Your video might disappear or freeze in case you have a poor Internet connection. This way, it is recommended to try different kinds of connection (Wi-Fi, wired or cellular).
- Close all the other programs that are consuming your bandwidth. Avoid downloading files or watching online videos while making a call.
- If you are using the laptop, plug it into AC power to switch off its power-saving mode.
- Make sure your camera is working. Go to messenger Settings – Audio & Video.
- Check whether you are not hidden. Make a call and pay attention to the video camera icon — it should not be turned off.
- Make sure there are no other programs on your device that are currently using your camera.
- Reinstall Skype. Delete it from your device and then install the app one more time.
- Restart your device. As a rule, it solves tons of different issues with your programs.
Skype voice-only problem on Windows systems
There is nothing new that Skype video calling disabled issue is the most common problem for Windows users. That is why we’ve collected a number of tips on how to cope with any difficulties while making calls using the messenger.
- Update your drivers.
This trick might sound scary for beginners, but it is extremely easy. Go to Control Panel – System and choose System Device Manager.
Click on your Camera, right-click and choose Update driver.
- Delete shared.xml file.
- Close your messenger and check whether it is not running in the background.
- Press Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Type %appdata%\skype in the field and press OK.
- Find a shared.xml file in the automatically opened folder and delete it. Note: the file name can be shared on some machines. Delete the file.
- Start your messenger once again to check if the problem is still present.
- Check your Internet settings.
Most Skype issues can be solved by even inexperienced users. Just follow our guide step by step, and your Skype will surely be working properly again.