How to uninstall Hangouts
Google Hangouts is a contemporary widely used messaging service, which greatly works both on mobile and desktop platforms. However, if you haven’t still get used to its amicable, logical and transparent interface, you might want to uninstall Hangouts from the device. In this article, we will provide a detailed guide on how to remove the app from Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS operating systems.
How to get rid of Hangouts plugin on PC?
As you certainly know, on any desktop platforms, Hangouts is installed as a discrete extension for Chrome browser. So, the way to delete this app from any of these systems is the same as you do with any other Chrome add-on.
The algorithm of deleting this browser extension is the same for PC, Mac and Linux, as Chrome works in absolutely the same way for all kinds of these personal computers.
Let’s find out what you are suggested to do in order to remove the messenger from a stationary device or laptop:
- Open Chrome and make sure that the service is turned on and is active on your browser instance. If the plugin is operating, you can see the icon on the toolbar at the upper-right corner of the screen. If the extension is turned on, it is highlighted with green.
Otherwise, in case the add-on is disabled, it will be displayed with pale hue.
- Log out from the messaging service.
- Just click the extension icon on the toolbar. The primary form of the app will appear.
- Click the “More” button with three horizontal lines to open up the main app menu.
- Press the Exit button (the bottom one) to sign out.
Note: if some open issues are still unresolved for you in this procedure, refer to the “How to sign out of Hangouts” FAQ guide.
Below we will describe 2 methods of removing Hangouts from OS. The first of them goes right here:
- Make a right click on the app icon on the toolbar and select the “Remove from Chrome” option from the context menu.
- When the icon is pressed, you need to confirm your decision by clicking “Remove” on the confirmation box displayed.
- After this is done, the add-on is entirely removed from Chrome and your current system.
- run the Chrome main menu by clicking on three dots in the upper-right corner
- select “More tools” — “Extensions” from the pop-up menu displayed
- find the Hangouts plugin among the installed Chrome add-ons and click on “Remove” button next to the corresponding component section
- as in the previous method, you need to confirm the action in the pop-up confirmation box by clicking “Remove”
Note: as an alternative to removal, you can simply turn off the app. In this case, the plugin won’t be removed but won’t be used in the current desktop environment within the Chrome ecosystem instead. After Hangouts is turned off, you can bring it back any moment later without reinstalling the plugin from scratch. Such a decision is more convenient than deletion and grants you a way to personalize your browser’s behaviour in more efficient way. In order to turn off the messenger, set the flowing slider to the Off status in the Hangouts container section.
This instruction works the same on all desktop platforms (Windows, macOS, and Linux), so there won’t be any problem with the deletion of Hangouts from any of these systems.
How to delete the Hangouts mobile app on Android?
If you have got used to managing Android apps on the frequent basis, you will be able to simply remove Hangouts just like any other regular mobile tool. If you don’t know how to do that, we will provide a detailed instruction regarding that matter:
- go to Settings
- from the settings list choose the “Apps & notifications” option
- now click “App info” to reveal the list of mobile programs currently installed within your Android environment
- from the application list find the Hangouts utility and tap it once
- Now, when the app menu is shown, click “Uninstall”, and the program is totally removed from your Android OS.
Note: if Hangouts is pre-installed on your actual Android device by default, you cannot remove it from the device memory. Instead, you can disable the tool by clicking “Disable” in the main menu of the application and confirming the action by choosing the “Disable app” option in the confirmation box.
There is one more thing you can be asked for: to replace the latest Hangouts build with latest updates installed with the factory version of the program, or leave the updates as they are without rolling back to the original app version. If you don’t want your program to be rolled back to the original build, simply choose “Cancel”, and the messenger will be disabled with updates still left in the phone memory. If otherwise, select “OK”, and all the updates will be deleted.
How to remove Hangouts from iPhone/iPad?
The removal of Hangouts on iOS gadget doesn’t differ from the deletion of any other mobile app within this type of OS in any way. Below we describe two ways of uninstalling Hangouts on iPhone/iPad:
- Long-tap the Hangouts icon on the home screen.
- After a few seconds, all the icons begin to tremble. When this happens, tap the cross on the upper-left corner of the app icon.
- Then the request form appears, where you need to confirm the deletion in the confirmation box by selecting “Delete”.
- Open the Settings by clicking the corresponding icon from on the home screen.
- Select the “General” item within the Settings menu.
- Pick the “iPhone/iPad Storage” option from the “General” submenu and tap it once.
- Scroll the apps list to the middle and find the Hangouts messenger service among the installed app. Tap the service icon in the list.
- Press “Delete App” to remove the program from your mobile device’s memory.
- Confirm the action by tapping “Delete App” in the confirmation box.
The removing process of the Hangouts app from any desktop, stationary or mobile device is absolutely clear and logical. You don’t need to invent something new, just follow the predefined guidelines, and soon you will achieve the anticipated result.