How to use Skype on PC
Skype is a unique software that is surely a breakthrough in the world of telecommunications. Earlier, you needed to take care about minutes you spend on international calling. However, these times are gone. The modern app allows you to make free calls and texts to your contacts, no matter how many miles away you are from each other. The tool has a top-notch mechanism for servers to route calls and data over the Internet, as well as special codecs that provide high-quality video and voice communication.
How to use Skype? Is it difficult for beginners? Here you will find an exclusive user guide with numerous screenshots on how to use the messenger on your Windows PC or laptop.
Downloading and installing the application on your computer will take you no longer than a few seconds. For more detailed information regarding creating and activating your new account, please refer to How to create Skype account.
How to start using Skype desktop version?
The first thing any new user needs to do is to find your friends, relatives or colleagues on Skype. Feel free to find people using their email, full name, Skype name or phone number. Follow our easy step-by-step tutorial to find the needed contacts on the fly.
- Open your app and click on + Contacts button.
- Type the full name, login name, phone number or email of the person you are looking for using the blue field.
- The program will automatically download all the contacts that meet your requirements. To add a contact to your app contact list, click on Add button.
- In case the app didn’t find the person you were looking for, click on More button.
- After that, you will be offered to invite your contact to join Skype. For these purposes, click on the blue icon.
- Feel free to send an email to invite your contact or copy the invitation Skype link that you will be able to send using any other program.
The similar menu also becomes available when you press + Contact button.
Note: you will need to wait until your contact will accept your request to start communicating.
How to call using the desktop app?
After you’ve successfully added new contacts to your app list, you can make your first audio or video call. The handy manual right here below might help you to perform it in a matter of seconds.
- Open the app and go to Contacts.
- Click on the required contact and pay attention to the right panel of your app. In the upper-right corner, you will see the sign of the video camera and the headphone icon. The first one is developed for making video calls, while the second one is for audio calls.
Note: your contact should have an online status to receive your call. To know more about Skype statuses, go to What are the Skype statuses
If the needed person is offline, but you still need to talk, you can call them using their mobile number. However, this option is not free, so you will need to add some funds to your Skype account in advance. To make a call to the mobile or landline number, click on the headphone button and choose the second option from the drop-down list.
Note: some users don’t provide any phone numbers. This way, you will need to wait until the needed person will become online.
How to add funds to your account?
If you are planning to use some program’s paid services, you will need to place funds to your account. Nevertheless, this is optional and you can still use basic app functions for free.
- Open the app and click on the main icon of your profile.
- Click on the Add funds button.
- You will see a list of different options, offered by the app. Feel free to choose from adding Skype credit or Subscriptions. All the details and the prices are available for your convenience. Choose the needed option and click Continue.
- You will be automatically redirected to the official website of the app, where you will need to provide your payment details. After that, your money will be added to your Skype account.
In case you require additional information about the app rates and paid services, visit Skype Call Rates
How to chat on Skype?
Sending messages using the app is surely safe and easy. For these purposes, go to Contacts and choose the required contact (the first steps are the same as in the previous instructions). Then find the field at the bottom of your right field and write your first message. Then click on the arrow to send it.
If you would like to send photos, files, contacts or locations, choose the + icon to the right of the chatting panel.
To brighten your communication, use hundreds of funny smiles by pressing the smiley icon to the left of the panel.
Choose any option from the list and click on the arrow to send it to your contact.
You can also communicate with several people simultaneously. To know more about making group calls, visit How to make a group call in Skype
To find out more about group chat, visit How to start a Skype group chat
The program also offers a number of flexible tools for personalization of your profile. You can set up your name, status, mood and download a photo, as well as provide additional information about your birthday and location. To learn more about the extended functions, go to How to manage a Skype account information
Upon the whole, now you definitely know how to use Skype on laptop or PC. Since the app is really customizable and easy to use, most people are not likely to face any issues while using it.