Skype connection issues
Skype is surely one of the most stable utilities for online communication. However, like any other software, the application might still cause certain issues. What should you do when you suddenly can’t connect to Skype? How to fix the most common connection issues? This troubleshooting guide will help you solve the majority of problems regarding using the messenger on your device.
Skype disconnects: basic fixes
First of all, it is highly recommended to check basic solutions that are similar for all the operating systems and devices, including iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Mac and Windows.
- Check app heartbeat. The simplest way to check why your app fails to connect is to review its server’s status. Go to https://support.skype.com/en/status/ to make sure everything is working properly on the developer’s side.
- Update your application to the newest available version. If you are not sure about your tool’s version or hesitate whether it is working properly, you might also reinstall the app. Just delete it completely from your device and then download and install it once again.
- Reboot your device. Turn off your smartphone, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it on. For PCs and laptops, restart your machine.
- Make sure you have a stable Internet connection. This is one of the most common reasons why your program is unable to connect to the server. For example, if you are using the mobile network, try to use the Wi-Fi connection.
Skype disconnects on Android: how to fix that?
- Make sure your device is compatible with the program. Go to Play Store, visit the app page and look for the compatibility information:
- Turn on all the app permissions on your device.
Skype connect errors on iPhone and Windows Phone: tips to fix
- If you fail to connect using the application installed on your smartphone, try to change your program’s password using the app online version. Go to official utility’s website https://login.live.com/ and follow the instructions of the wizard. For more details, visit How to reset Skype password
- Check whether your app has access to the microphone on your device. Go to Settings - Skype and make sure the Microphone option is toggled on.
Skype can’t connect on Windows
- Scan your PC or laptop for viruses and other kinds of malware. Some kinds of hostile apps can easily harm your messenger’s performance. Go to Settings - Update & Security - Windows Security - Windows Defender - Open Windows Defender Security Center and launch a full checkup for malware.
- Update your Windows. Always use the latest version of your operating system. To update it, go press Windows key + I - Update and Security - Check for available updates. Wait until your system will make automatic updates and restart it.
- Check your firewall settings. Open your Windows Defender Firewall - Allowed apps. Allow Skype to communicate through Defender Firewall.
Skype fails to connect on Mac: easy fix
In case your Skype keeps disconnecting on your MacBook, follow this simple guide to solve most issues regarding using the tool.
- Switch off your messenger.
- Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Skype/
- Find the file called “shared.xml” and delete it from your system.
- Open the messenger once again.
After that, your operating system will automatically generate the new shared.xml file which will be corrected.
As a rule, the program’s connection issues are really easy to fix. Therefore, you don’t need to have any developer skills to make your application work properly with no bugs or errors.